Another Great Escape

Monday, June 19, 2006

Tradition Vs. New Stuff

It's getting to that time of year when we start gearing up to the end of term. It is always action packed; there are records to prepare to give to the high school, full scale productions to direct and produce, Pupil night out to organise, assessments, marking, coordinator tasks to complete, work to sample and finally - the leavers assembly to organise.

Last year was the first year that we had year 6 leavers at my school, so it was the first time that I had had to sort anything else. I tried to establish something a bit different, something that wasn't the same as had been done year in year out with the year 4 leavers. This usually consisted of the same readings and the same hymns, as had been done for years previously. Mine was completely different, we had a Beatles song, one by the Beach boys and a few poems. Needless to say it didn't go down well. Like I said, it's that time of year again. There has been rumblings already about what we're doing. Shall we sing this, shall we do that, blah, blah, blah - that's what it sounds like to me. All I want to do is do something different, something that reflects what makes up my class and who I am as a teacher.

I find conflict and disagreement hard to deal with - it's one of my development targets to solve conflict rather than avoid it. Tomorrow will see it come to level - having thought about what I want my class to do rather what other people want me to do. I had a open remit to do what I want. Sometimes tradition can be stifling, strangling any type of new innovation or change - Sometimes change can be scary, and unnerving - but at this moment, I've lost all patience with the traditionalists and they need to get a grip.

Sound familiar??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home