Another Great Escape

Friday, May 05, 2006

Teacher Moment

I had a bit of a teacher moment today. It was one of those times when you realise what a great job teaching can be.

I teach a mixed year5/6 class. Those of you that know the English Ed. system, know that next week year 6 pupils will be taking their end of Key Stage 2 SATs. We've been preparing for a while, revision sessions, booster classes, etc. Today we finished off our prep. with a relaxation class. I did this with last year's year 6's and it seemed to go well then. Anyway, I was a bit sceptical about this lot, some of them are premadonna's, others are a just a pain in the neck.

The kids went into the hall and got ready. I turned the tape on. They listened. The tape was a bit cheesy, but once the kids got over the voice they relaxed. It was amazing, within 15 minutes half the group were asleep. Total chill out.

Whilst they were relaxing, I was thinking about this group. The pressure of SATs for me as a teacher is imense. I have targets from the LEA, my own proffessional development targets and the knowledge that these results will be published. However, for an 10 or 11 year old I can't imagine. We try our hardest not to make too bigger deal about it. I was getting all mellow thinking about how I've helped shape these kids, but then worrying that I'd put too much pressure on them. The ambiance was shattered when the phone rang though - one of the girls, although only 11 acts and looks much older, burst into tears. She had woke up and didn't know where she was and she just started to cry. I just remembered that she was a kid. Sometimes I forget how much "child" is left in the older kids at school. They act so old sometimes that you forget that they worry about stuff, burst into tears, curl up in the foetel position, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home