Another Great Escape

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

An interesting day


I've got to be quick as we're off swimming. Not my choice of activity for a wednesday night, but hey.

I was feeling a bit negative about today - it was the last of my Leading from the Middle development days - I wasn't really looking forward to it. Partly because I thought that I hadn't done the work for it and partly because I'd rather spend this week with the kids in my class before they sit their SATs next week. Well, it turned out to be a good day. I learnt a lot. Usually these type of courses can be full of management speak or as one bloke put it "psycho-bollocks". This one was quite good.

When I started this course 9 months ago I felt as if I was a small fish in a big pond. There seemed to be so many other people with more experience and bigger teams to manage. I really didn't think I'd last it out. The thing is - I've really learnt things about myself. To other people these things may seem miniscule or unimportant but to me it has been like a road to Damascus experience. It has been one of those rare moments of clarity that most people get, where all the cogs turn or all the planets align or when everything just falls into place. The bits of advice, guidance, coaching, mentoring, chatting and just having time out of school to think and reflect have all contributed to changes to my profesional life. I'm not perfect, I haven't cracked it completly but the seeds have been sown.

I still have lots to process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home